Even in the hottest months of August, when programming is sparse, Sunday nights are loaded. It’s the theater’s biggest evening, it could be the hockey universe’s crowning day of the year, we’ve got new shows from Miley’s dad and Daryl Dixon, and the stellar HBO line-up.
70th Annual Tony Awards [CBS, 8p]
Tuning in for James Corden and the cast of Hamilton performing, because it’s probably the most I’ll see of the play!
Still the King [CMT, 8p]
Billy Ray Cyrus is a washed out, one-hit-wonder (…ha!) who returns to the country music world that deposed him as the world’s second-best Elvis impersonator.
Veep [HBO, 10:30p]
It’s been one hell of a season as Selina Meyer fights for her political life, Jonah Ryan runs for Congress, and everyone else do what they do, as there’s three episodes left before the end of season 5.
ALSO ON TAP TONIGHT:
- The rest of the HBO line-up includes almost certain death on Game of Thrones and almost certain embarrassment on Silicon Valley.
- It’s Game 6 of the Stanley Cup and the San Jose Sharks try to stay alive against the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- The post-apocalyptic drama of The Last Ship returns for a third season tonight on TNT, as Chandler attempts to return to his people.
- The long-awaited Preacher adaptation hit its stride in its second episode and already is building a cult following on AMC.
- Speaking of AMC and cult series, Norman Reedus steps off Daryl Dixon’s motorcycle to check out other vehicles on Ride with Norman Reedus.