If you watched last year’s Candy and loved the true story but wish that it was told by TV drama veteran David E. Kelly and starred Elizabeth Olsen and Jessie Plemons in the lead, you’re in luck. It’s also the first day of football fans’ favorite non-game event and the last day of one of the consensus meanest men in showbiz’s talk show. But those are just rumors, right?
Love & Death [HBO Max]
We’ve already seen the Candy Montgomery story on the small screen already, now HBO is throwing their hat in the ring with a second adaptation with a great cast. Two seemingly nice churchgoing couples navigate life in Texas… until one of them is murdered with an axe! To be honest, I’m not sure how different these series will be from each other, but the story is compelling and this one stars Elizabeth Olsen so sign me up.
The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning [Peacock]
Inspired by Margareta Magnusson’s bestselling book, and narrated by Amy Poehler, this series helps eight people–in different stages of their lives, they’re not all on death’s door–are given the opportunity to gently sort their lives and their home. Like a happier Hoarders, maybe.
2023 NFL Draft [NFL Network/ESPN/etc., 8p]
If you’re an NFL fan, Thursday through Saturday are like multiple Christmases as you yell at the screen for either your team taking the player you want or damning them for their abject stupidity at choosing players (b/c remember, you know better than people doing this all their life). Or, if you’re a fan of a team that’s doing well (like in a rare era, my Buffalo Bills are), you can enjoy all this knowing you’re not overly dependant on picking well this year.
BUT, WAIT, THERE’S MORE:
- It’s kind of amazing that the celebrity who notoriously is the sort one would not want to be trapped in a car with made his bones by singing heartily while motoring around town with other famous people. In any case, it’s Reddit’s worst celebrity ever’s last day as a TV talk show host, The Last Late Late Late Show with James Corden on CBS.
- If you prefer your canines wearing monocles and sipping tea while bingewatching Poirot, then check out the latest season of The Dog House: UK on HBO Max.
- On the calling out awful humans front, Hulu debuts the Nazi-punching special Grand Knighthawk: Infiltrating the KKK. Donald Trump won’t like this, but we will!
- The final stories from the time-spanning female friendship drama Firefly Lane with the second half of the second (and final) season hitting Netflix today. Katherine Heigl and Sarah Chalke play the two lifelong pals.
- The post-apocalyptic kids-as-animals dystopia of Sweet Tooth quietly returns for a delayed second season. We loved the first one, so not sure why we’ve lost enthusiasm about this one.
- There’s another slate of streaming imports, all on Netflix. The Saudi thriller flick The Matchmaker opens today and its trailer looks fast paced and disturbing. Don’t tell Ghosts‘ Thorfinn, but the Danish series The Nurse about a woman discovering her friend might be one of those Angels of Death sorts.
- Today’s LHV (Lifetime-Hallmark Vortex) offering has a fun title. It’s Hidden Murder Island and it’s on LDN and we are DONE here.