Vampires unleashed at Fox, Dirty John’s true filth revealed, Bachelor Colton steams up screens, and Staten is the New Shore. BRAD’S PICK: The Passage [Fox, 9p] Justin Cronin’s bestselling vampire trilogy finally gets an adaptation. Can Amy save the world from the apocalypse? Here’s hoping the … Continue reading What To Watch: 01/14/2019
We’re in touch with reality tonight, even if it is a reality wholly crafted by behind-the-scene showrunners. Leading off, it’s the dating show, that even more-staid-than-your-average-Brit John Oliver has an opinion on (and one that has spawned not one, but two, programs our editors love). Bonus: … Continue reading What to Watch: 01/07/2019
It’s a night full of comedies and dramas, including the latest opening night for a former Daily Show correspondent, for so let’s not waste time:
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee [TBS, 10:30p]
It’s hard to bet against any Daily Show expat given a new show — particularly true for the faux news juggernaut’s longest-tenured employee, Samantha Bee. Her first episode sets her rapier wit on Jeb Exclamation Point. Granted, it’s an easy target right now, but do you seriously have any doubts she’ll bullseye that son-of-a-pres.
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend [CW, 8p]
Rebecca accidentally text Josh, making second-hand shame first-hand “OH GOD NOOOOO.”
A Ballerina’s Tale [PBS, 10p]
Nelson George directs this behind-the-scenes look at the career of Misty Copeland, who transcends barriers by becoming the first African-American principal dancer with the American Ballet Theatre. Prepare to be all in your feels.
ALSO ON TAP TONIGHT:
- Following on the heels of this season’s best episode to date (a Jose Chung-esque classic over-the-top monsterfest), Mulder & Scully investigate an otherworldly political assassination on this week’s X-Files on FOX.
- For shows that have been solidly hitting their mark these days, there’s the heroic Supergirl on CBS, the unabashedly silly Angie Tribeca on TBS, and the gently inspiring Jane the Virgin on The CW.
- The NBC one-two punch of Superstore and Telenovela have elements that hint at better shows. Could this be the week they get it together? Magic 8 Ball doesn’t want to be pinned to an answer here, but it guesses its sources would likely say no.
- Lucifer on FOX and The Magicians on Syfy offer a bit more promise, but haven’t really earned faith based on their initial episodes.
- The Bachelor‘s on his usual rose-givin’-out trip on ABC, if you like that sort of thing. Millions do.