Roughly 37 years after the initial cult-beloved flop version of Frank Herbert’s sci-fi classic novel, Dennis Villenueve tries tries again and the results show up on HBO Max today at 6pm.
Dune [HBO Max]
Denis Villeneuve’s remake so far has a pretty good buzz going. Is it better than David Lynch’s polarizing 1984 version? Fans will be able to decide for themselves today. Frank Herbert’s original novel is dense with metaphor and epic in scope so it’s not the easiest book to adapt. No matter what it will be interesting watching Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) transform into Muad’Dib the Kwisatz Haderach. The spice must flow
The Girl in the Woods [Peacock]
This supernatural teen drama features a plucky runaway and a terrifying monster dimension in the woods. I wish teenager girls didn’t have to face their demons, but “we love to see it” when they succeed.
Introducing, Selma Blair [Discovery+]
I’ve loved Blair since her turn as the American Kim in the wrongly maligned (or at least over maligned) Kath & Kim remake in the late-’00s–well, even before that, but I really wanted to present a defense of that show. It also had SNL‘s Mikey Day as her boyfriend. This documentary on an unlikely streaming network explores the actress’ battle with multiple sclerosis as she continues to build on an already impressive performing career.
Grey’s Anatomy [ABC, 9p]
Last week Dr. Addison Montgomery arrived at Grey Sloan Memorial to perform a ground breaking surgery. The HVAC system went out during a record breaking heat wave making this experimental surgery even more risky. This week Addison is dealing with complications from the procedure while Richard Webber is revamping the resident program. To get all of his residents up to speed, Webber has decided to put them each on a solo surgery. I’m all for learning opportunities, but I hope they have their attendings on speed dial!
BUT, WAIT, THERE’S MORE:
- The universe’s favorite unlikely friendship adds a new chapter as Snoop Dogg and Martha Stewart celebrate the spooky holiday with the Peacock special Snoop & Martha’s Very Tasty Halloween. We hold up one of those new, special Bic EZ Reach lighters in honor of the event, knowing we won’t burn ourselves when we light up a… candle to enjoy the special.
- Red Reddington is still ticking names off his scrolls, even after losing his “daughter” Liz at the end of last season, as The Blacklist returns for its ninth season, still on NBC, but on a new timeslot.
- Crackle’s newest sports doc The Green Wave tells the tragic/inspiring story of the 2008 Summerville High School basketball season during which beloved coach Louis Mulkey died while volunteering as a fireman. NFL star AJ Green was one of the the players who dedicated the team’s triumphant run to a South Carolina state title.
- Chef David Chang looks into the future of restaurants through the lens of the evolution of technology in the new Hulu food porn program The Next Thing You Eat.
- What are you doing Gwyneth Paltrow?! Her latest project centered around her bizarrely named brand (and absolutely not a cult) is Sex, Love & Goop, it’s on Netflix, and the less said about it, probably the better.
- One OK Rock are kind of a Japanese Linkin Park as they mold multiple genres into one hard rock sound. While they have never really broken through in the U.S., they are huge in Asia and some of Europe and if you want to know more, check out the Netflix documentary Flip a Coin: The One OK Rock.