What we love most about Wolf’s epic performance at the 2018 Nerd Prom to End All Nerd Proms is that she has NEVER ONCE APOLOGIZED FOR IT. Way too often, when the Right Wing Noise Machine kicks into gear and twists a comedian or politician’s righteous words, the target is all-too-quick to back down and don the face of regret. Her performance was right on target, eminently fair, and her calm integrity in sticking by her words is uniquely refreshing. Unfortunately, her nighttime talk show never truly found its voice or audience, but we’ve got a good feeling about her 2019 Netflix special dropping tonight.
Michelle Wolf: Joke Show [Netflix]
We need the righteous high pitched anger of Michelle Wolf more then ever. Lucky for us she’s back with a new comedy special on Netflix. I don’t know about you but I hope at least half of it is about impeachment
Belichick & Saban: The Art of Coaching [HBO, 9p]
After years of seeing my team’s spirit crushed by B-Boogie Wit Da Hoodie, I have zero love for Bill Belichick, but it’s hard not to respect his always-hunting-for-an-advantage game — even if sometimes it indisputably dances on the razor’s edge of cheating. Saban’s pretty good too. As are HBO Documentaries.
The Moodys [Fox, 9p]
If last night’s block of holiday unhappiness didn’t wear you down, tonight is the season (series? only time will tell) finale.
ALSO ON TAP TONIGHT:
- The comedian once known as DeGeneres approaches Maximum Ellen as she leans into the Christmas spirit with minimum humility on NBC’s Ellen’s Greatest Night of Giveaways.
- If the spirit’s not particularly striking you, A&E debuts the latest iteration of its popular women-in-chains series Behind Bars: Women Inside tonight.
- We don’t usually make room in this space for the man-we-have-a-lot-of-kids subgenre of reality shows, but with tonight’s episode titled “I’m Dreaming of a Cajun Christmas,” we’ll spill some virtual ink for TLC’s Outdaughtered.
- The naming game is even better over at ABC’s Roseanne Minus Roseanne (aka The Conners) as we’re hit with the almost brilliant “Smoking Penguins and Santa on Santa Action.” We may just tune in to the best show we always forget to watch.
- Meanwhile, the trainwreck spectacle of The Masked Singer continues unabated on Fox. With legendary Patti LaBelle revealed as the Flower and legend adjacent Michelle Williams the Butterfly being the last two to face the painful head removal, we’re down to the last six contestants on the polarizing reality show. While we Scholars are not really watching it, at least one of us is absolutely fascinated by the internet’s embrace of the guessing game.