Tim Robinson’s so self-effacing in his craft, so ready to buffoon-ize himself, that it can often mask his brilliance as a rising voice in comedy. Welp, tonight he gets another chance to showcase his art with a Netflix sketch special. Meanwhile, it’s a nice night for innovative half-hours and for remembering what happened a half-century ago (if you indeed believe we DID put a man on the moon).
I Think You Should Leave With Tim Robinson [Netflix]
Self-effacing goofball Robinson was underutilized on SNL (the “Z Shirt” skit with Kevin Hart is a straight-up classic) before stepping back to the writers room and underwatched on the his hilarious ad man parody with Sam Richardson, Detroiters. Last time he showed up on Netflix, his was the funniest episode of the eight showcases on the comedy anthology The Characters. He returns, backed by his SNL-buds The Lonely Island, with a new sketch series with guests ranging from Tim Heidecker to Steven Yeun to many, many ex-co-workers from the aforementioned shows.
Bless This Mess [ABC, 9:30p]
Mike and Rio devote hours to soil research, only for the rain to mess it up. I get that, I spent hours looking up the best first for my indoor plants.
The Bold Type [Freeform, 8p]
Tonight, Kat gets into local politics, Sutton takes a new step in her career and Jane tries to improve her sex life.
ALSO ON TAP TONIGHT:
- ABC begins a docu-series look back at one of the more eventful years, 1969, starting with that time we pretended to put a man on the moon.
- PBS delves into the long (oft cruelly ignored and/or appropriated) record of African-American-owned companies, and the extra obstacles black men and women faced in the business world, with its new documentary BOSS: The Black Experience In Business.
- So much history on tonight that even the History Channel has historical value… sort of. Tonight, they return for a second season of looking into The Curse of Civil War Gold.
- Irv Gotti’s anthology Tales actually has a pretty neat premise — it takes classic rap songs and transforms them into individual, well, tales. Inspirations last year included NWA’s “Fuck The Police,” Jay-Z’s “99 Problems,” and hip-hop’s ultimate narrative: Slick Rick’s “Children’s Story.” The second season starts on BET tonight with an episode titled “Brothers” (perhaps Kid Cudi?).
- Tracy Morgan’s The Last O.G. also takes tonight’s episode title from a hip-hop classic — in this case “Scenario” — but no word on if it answers the eternal question does Bo know jack if he cannot rap?
- Fantasy football drafts… in April?!?! That’s your life if you’re Mike “The Miz” Mizanin. Or maybe it’s just that tonight’s episode of Miz & Mrs was taped back in August of last year! We’ll never know. In any case, on the USA (characters? they have them!) reality show, Miz juggles his draft with helping wife Monroe out with some errands.