As is per the ushe on a Friday, much of the action (that which is not taking place on distant ice or snow) takes place on streaming, although HBO features prominently in our choices, so let’s just ski jump right on in (ugh).
Seven Seconds [Netflix]
It’s the latest in a line of anthologies, but the first major one on streaming, and this one intrigues me not just because it takes place in my backyard of Jersey City, New Jersey, but it covers a brutal topic and features a great cast, led by Regina King and Russell Hornsby.
High Maintenance [HBO, 11:15p]
The Guy tries to take the day off and hands over the reigns to a man named Abdullah. How do you think you do that? An auto-respond text message? Does he just hand Abdullah his phone?
ALSO ON TAP TONIGHT:
- The second half of the first season of the third iteration of the quirky edgy superhero comic The Tick returns on Amazon Prime. Um, spoon, we guess. And we’re gonna go lie down now.
- Aaaand we’re back. Tonight’s The Graham Norton Show on BBC would seem to have an Oscar-ish theme (with a splash of Will & Grace for flair) with Margot Robbie, Allison Janney, Daniel Kaluuya, Saoirse Ronan, Debra Messing, and Eric McCormack, among others.
- Even drug kingpins have birthdays, and tonight Don Miguel celebrates in the heat of danger on Showtime’s The Trade.
- Mute debuts on Netflix tonight. It’s not getting the greatest reviews, but Gizmodo loves it, and we’ll give anything from Duncan Jones at least a try after the one-two punch of Moon and Source Code.
- More ice, more skating and skiing and curling and nordic combining, and it’s all on NBC on the Winter Olympics.