Amazon continues to make the most of its format, as one of its best received March pilots debuts its first season (with a second season already promised). And it’s from the creator of Gilmore Girls!!! The Christmas season is ramping up and today’s the day for the lighting of the country’s most famous tree. Furthermore, there’s a ton of old favorites, from a pair of Comedy Central’s conquering heroes to that show about vikings of the non-Minnesota variety.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel [Amazon]
Any Amy Sherman-Palladino show promises snappy dialogue by well-drawn characters, and, as AV Club puts it, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel “lives up to its name” (at least in the pilot). It boasts a tidy cast led by Rachel Brosnahan and including Monk himself, Tony Salhoub, and the one-time Mrs. Snow and still-now Lois Griffin, Alex Borstein, and unveils a titular character who finds herself suddenly single in 1958 NYC.
Christmas at Rockefeller Center [NBC, 8p]
NBC stars (Gwen Stefani, the Today cast) light NYC’s Christmas tree.
Broad City [Comedy, 10:30p]
As if dealing with the normal day to day tribulations of living in the Big Apple isn’t enough, Abbi & Ilana deal with one of NYC’s worst pests – bedbugs.
Also On Tap Tonight
- The ever-affable Bruno Mars offered a tape of his performance at the premier Harlem concert hall to CBS. Said network airs it tonight at 10p as Bruno Mars: 24k Magic Live at the Apollo
- The rush of movies ripped from real life scandals from the 1990s continues unabated tonight with Scott Peterson: An American Murder Mystery on, where else, ID Network
- The History Channel’s premier scripted show, Vikings, pillages on for an unfathomable fifth season
- It’s a true Garden State retreat as the ladies delve into their personal issues on Bravo’s The Real Housewives of New Jersey
- If nothing intrigues you, but you need to passively sit yourself in front of a glowing screen without dealing with any streaming services, classic 1990 mafia movie Goodfellas is on AMC.