It’s Sunday night, It’s not TV, it’s HBO, and they have an impressive line-up which accounts for 2/3 of our official recs. The other is an underrated magic movie from a couple years ago.
Game of Thrones [HBO, 9p]
This season is just so consistently good! Equal amounts of setup and great action. Ben Stark is back and is half White Walker??? Holy Moly. Jaime is sent to Riverrun so does this mean he is taking over?? Sansa and Jon head north to rally some folks and Dany has a new army to follow her. It’s about to go down.
Veep [HBO, 10:30p]
With the election in flux, Veep has never been better as its characters freak out more than Chic getting denied access to Studio 54 in 1978. They’re getting closer to a resolution, but it involves the comic gold that is Jonah Ryan running for Congress. And tonight there’s a ball.
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone [TBS, 8p]
I really liked this movie when it was released, though critics and audiences did not agree. Steve Carrell is an established magician whose ego takes a serious hit when a Criss Angel-like performer affects his career. Steve Buscemi is Burt’s childhood BFF, and he doesn’t die at the end!
ALSO ON TAP TONIGHT:
- David Schwimmer, coming off a game-changing (well, game-changingish) turn as Robert Kardashian, joins Jim Sturgess for AMC’s Feed the Beast, dark-looking series that tries to bring Breaking Bad‘s intensity-of-spirit to the restaurant industry.
- After two weeks of the promising pilot and one hour of Chris Hardwick talking about it, Preacher takes the next step, also on AMC.
- The third element of HBO’s power lineup, Silicon Valley, promises some more conflict and torment for Pied Piper after two weeks of relative stability (well, other than Big Head’s ceasing to fail forward).
- Folks are loving the third season of Showtime’s Penny Dreadful.
- I feel obligated to mention that seasons of Extreme RV’s and Sister Wives begin today, for some reason.